At 63 I still think I’m not yet truly old, but realize that to pretty much every younger person, I appear ancient, if not totally invisible.
The young and middle aged, have no idea how good this time of life actually is! A friend brought this to my attention recently, saying that it was the best time of her life. I was compelled to agree. This is the first time I’ve been completely free to do whatever I like without having to fit in with the plans of others in an effort to keep them happy. This is liberating! I get up and go to bed when I choose (whenever that may be) and suit myself in every activity. Fortunately I still enjoy learning new things and my time is peppered with talks, debates and social gatherings with fellow travellers.
Unfortunately this wonderful period of complete freedom is not set to last. Eventually failing mobility will clip my wings. I expect this to happen in the next twenty years. If I’m still going strong, I’ll have to find something else to keep me going. It will possibly be my access to the internet because it strikes me that there are always worthwhile conversations to be had online. I’m doing it now, for heavens sake!
No comments:
Post a Comment