Friday, 25 September 2026

AH X WKING UPTO DTH X “Death is not only the end of life; contemplating it can change how we live.”

 A

DDP — Andrew Holecek: Waking Up to Death

The passage is essentially asking a profound question:

What happens to our way of living when we stop treating death as something abstract and begin relating to it directly?

1. “Why do we hold on?”

Holecek is pointing toward attachment.

We hold on to:

  • our identity

  • relationships

  • possessions

  • achievements

  • memories

  • our body

  • our plans for the future

  • even our idea of who we are

Deep dive:
The fear of death may partly be the fear of losing everything we use to define “me.”

So the question becomes:

If everything I identify with can change, what exactly am I protecting?


2. Death exposes the question of “self”

Ordinarily, we experience ourselves as something relatively continuous:

I was → I am → I will be.

Death interrupts that narrative.

The interesting Buddhist/Holecek-style question is not merely:

“What happens after I die?”

but:

“What is this ‘I’ that I am so afraid of losing?”

This moves the inquiry from death as an event to identity as a process.


3. Fear of death may reveal attachment to permanence

We instinctively want:

certainty + continuity + control.

But existence gives us:

change + uncertainty + impermanence.

That conflict produces suffering.

The problem isn't simply that things change.

It is:

We want changing things to behave as though they were permanent.


4. “Becoming more familiar with change”

This is one of the deepest points.

Holecek's approach isn't simply:

“Don't be afraid of death.”

It is closer to:

Practice letting go before you're forced to let go.

Everyday life provides miniature experiences of death:

  • childhood → adulthood

  • relationships beginning → changing → ending

  • thoughts appearing → disappearing

  • seasons changing

  • the body aging

  • identities being replaced

  • possessions being acquired → lost

  • waking → sleeping

Each moment contains a tiny version of:

arising → existing → dissolving.


5. Impermanence becomes a training ground

Instead of viewing impermanence only as bad news:

“Everything I love will eventually disappear.”

we can also see:

“Because everything changes, every moment is precious.”

This is very close to your earlier existential question about temporary happiness.

An ice cream melts.

That doesn't make eating it meaningless.

Its impermanence is part of why the experience matters.

Likewise, mortality can potentially transform:

“I only have a limited amount of time”

into:

“Therefore, this moment actually matters.”


6. Letting go ≠ not caring

This distinction is crucial.

Buddhist-style letting go does not necessarily mean:

“I don't care about anything.”

It can mean:

“I care deeply without demanding that what I love remain unchanged.”

That's a radically different form of attachment.

You can love someone while knowing:

I cannot possess them permanently.

You can enjoy life while knowing:

I cannot keep it permanently.

You can love your own existence while knowing:

I cannot preserve this particular form forever.


7. Death can clarify what matters

Mortality acts like a filter.

Ask:

If I knew this experience was temporary, would I pay more attention to it?

Probably.

Then push the question further:

If I knew my life was temporary, what am I spending my limited attention on?

This transforms death from merely a biological endpoint into a philosophical tool.


8. The paradox

The passage contains a beautiful paradox:

Learning to accept death → may allow us to live more fully.

Why?

Because resistance consumes energy.

If part of the mind is continually saying:

“This must not change.”

then reality becomes an enemy.

But if we recognize:

“This is changing.”

we can meet reality rather than fight it.


9. Connection to Bhagavad Gita

This has an interesting parallel with the Gita.

The Gita repeatedly asks Arjuna to distinguish between:

what changes
and
what is ultimately real.

The body changes.

Circumstances change.

Relationships change.

Pleasure and pain change.

But Krishna directs Arjuna toward a deeper understanding of the Self that is not reducible to these changing phenomena.

So Holecek's question:

“What happens when I become familiar with death?”

and the Gita's question:

“Who am I beneath what changes?”

can meet at the same philosophical crossroads.

But they aren't identical teachings. Holecek's Buddhist framework generally emphasizes impermanence, emptiness, and loosening identification; the Gita ultimately presents an enduring Self/ātman and relationship with the Divine.


10. The deepest question

Perhaps the passage ultimately isn't about death.

It's about attachment to a fixed self.

We say:

“I am this person.”

But the person is constantly changing.

So:

If everything about me changes, what exactly is the “me” that I think death is going to take away?

That question can become a meditation in itself.

PPDDP in one line

Death → exposes attachment → attachment exposes our concept of self → examining self exposes impermanence → accepting impermanence can produce freedom → freedom can deepen appreciation of life.

Taglines

“Become familiar with letting go, so that life becomes less about holding on.”

Or even more directly:

“Death is not only the end of life; contemplating it can change how we live.”

No comments: