A
Here’s the deep-dive conceptual map of the passage.
1. The central distinction: Brahman vs. Paramatma
The entire argument depends on not treating these as two separate “beings.”
Brahman = the Absolute, limitless, complete reality.
Paramatma = Consciousness understood within manifestation—as the witnessing/projecting principle.
Jīva = the individualised sense of “I,” operating within the manifestation.
So when the text says “I Am before God,” it is using God in the manifested sense. The “I Am” is prior to the appearance of God as a conceptual/projecting principle.
This is closely aligned with the style of teaching associated with Nisargadatta Maharaj.
2. Why Brahman cannot “desire”
Desire presupposes lack.
The structure of ordinary desire is roughly:
“I am here → something is missing → something else will complete me → therefore I want it.”
But Brahman is Pūrṇam—complete, limitless, lacking nothing.
Therefore:
Incomplete entity → desire → action → result
cannot apply to Brahman.
If Brahman genuinely desired something, Brahman would have to be incomplete before obtaining it.
That creates a contradiction.
So “Brahman desires to become many” cannot literally mean that an individual-like Brahman first existed in one state and then decided to produce a second state.
3. Then where does Jijīviṣā come from?
This is the most interesting point.
Jijīviṣā means roughly the desire/will to live, to continue living, to preserve existence.
The passage relocates this desire from Absolute Reality to manifestation.
In other words:
Brahman doesn't want to live.
Rather:
Life itself appears within Brahman.
Once there is manifestation, there can be:
existence
non-existence
survival
continuation
fear of death
desire for experience
desire for knowledge
desire for manifestation.
These are properties of the manifested field—not of Brahman as Absolute.
4. The subtle move: “I exist”
The passage proposes a sequence:
Brahman → “I AM” → witnessing consciousness → manifestation → God/projector → universe
But there is a philosophical subtlety here.
Strictly speaking, from the highest Advaita standpoint, even saying:
“Brahman realizes ‘I exist’”
is already problematic.
Why?
Because realization implies a movement from ignorance to knowledge.
But Brahman, being pure reality/consciousness, cannot actually undergo such a transition.
So the phrase should be understood as pedagogical language, not as an event occurring in Absolute Reality.
A more rigorous formulation would be:
The appearance of the “I AM” is the beginning of phenomenal manifestation; it does not constitute an actual change in Brahman.
That distinction is crucial.
5. “I AM” is not yet the ego
This is another extremely important layer.
There are at least three things that can easily get conflated:
Pure awareness
↓
I AM / sense of being
↓
I am this particular person
The first is prior to conceptual identity.
The second is the bare sense:
“I am.”
The third adds attributes:
“I am Ekta.”
“I am male/female.”
“I am successful.”
“I am suffering.”
“I am spiritual.”
“I am the body.”
That third movement is where the familiar ego-personality becomes prominent.
So the teaching is not saying:
“My personality existed before God.”
It is pointing toward the much subtler bare sense of existence prior to identification.
6. Why Maharaj says “I Am before God”
This statement can sound almost blasphemous or paradoxical until the levels are separated.
Suppose “God” means the personal/creator God who creates, governs and sustains the universe.
Then ask:
Before I can conceive of God, what is already present?
The immediate answer is:
I am.
There must first be awareness/being in which the concept “God” appears.
Thus:
“I AM” → concept/experience of God
rather than:
concept of God → “I AM.”
This is an epistemological point: God as an experienced or conceived object appears within consciousness.
It does not necessarily mean that the individual ego is metaphysically older than God.
That's an important distinction.
7. The “projector and projected” relationship
The passage says:
“Paramatma or God is the projector, and its desire is the projected.”
This is quite a sophisticated formulation.
The desire doesn't necessarily mean:
God sits somewhere and says, “I want a universe.”
Instead, desire and manifestation are presented as two aspects of the same movement.
For example:
“I want to experience”
already implicitly contains:
“There must be something to experience.”
Thus:
desire → object
and ultimately:
experiencer → experiencing → experienced
This is the basic triad of manifestation.
8. The deepest paradox: Who experiences whom?
Now we arrive at the real Advaita question.
At the ordinary level:
“I am experiencing the world.”
But Advaita asks:
Who is this “I”?
If the “I” means the body-mind, then the body-mind itself is something experienced.
You experience:
sensations
thoughts
emotions
memories
perceptions.
Therefore the body-mind cannot be the ultimate experiencer in the same sense, because it is itself an object of awareness.
Then:
What knows the body-mind?
That takes us toward the Witness.
But Advaita then makes one further move.
Even Witness-consciousness as a position belongs to manifestation.
Ultimately, Brahman is not an “experiencer” standing opposite an “experience.”
Because if Brahman were an experiencer, experience would have to be something separate from Brahman.
That would introduce duality.
9. This is why the final statement is so radical
“Brahman is Life itself.”
This completely changes the question.
Instead of:
“Does Brahman want to experience life?”
the deeper answer becomes:
There is no separate Brahman and life.
Instead of:
“Who wants to exist?”
ask:
What is existence itself?
Instead of:
“Who wants experience?”
ask:
What is it in which experiencer, experiencing and experienced appear?
That reframing dissolves the original paradox.
10. The dream analogy
The passage's projection language becomes easier to understand through dreaming.
In a dream:
a dream world appears
a dream body appears
other people appear
experiences occur
desires occur
fear of death can occur
the dream character may believe the dream world is independently real.
But all of it is appearing in the dreaming mind.
The dream character doesn't independently manufacture the dream.
Likewise, the teaching uses manifestation as something that appears in Consciousness, rather than something created outside Consciousness.
However, there is one limitation to the analogy:
Brahman isn't literally a cosmic person dreaming a universe.
The analogy is useful only until it starts making Brahman into another entity.
11. The “first desire” is itself ultimately Māyā
This may be the deepest point in the entire passage.
The author says:
“even this so-called first desire never actually happened to Brahman.”
That is the crucial nondual correction.
From the relative standpoint:
Brahman → consciousness → manifestation → desire → experience.
From the absolute standpoint:
Nothing ever happened to Brahman.
No creation occurred to Brahman.
No transformation occurred to Brahman.
No desire arose in Brahman.
No second thing ever became genuinely separate from Brahman.
The entire sequence belongs to Māyā—appearance.
12. Two standpoints are operating simultaneously
This resolves most of the apparent contradictions.
| Relative/manifest standpoint | Absolute standpoint |
|---|---|
| God exists | Brahman alone is |
| God creates | No creation ultimately occurred |
| Consciousness witnesses | Brahman is beyond subject/object |
| Desire arises | Brahman is desireless |
| Life seeks continuation | Brahman is beyond birth/death |
| Experience occurs | No separate experiencer/experienced |
| Māyā manifests | Māyā has no independent reality |
The mistake is mixing these levels.
For example:
“If God desires, then Brahman must desire.”
Not necessarily.
God, desire, manifestation and causation belong to the relative level.
Brahman is the absolute.
13. The deepest correction to the question
The original question asks:
“Who desires to exist and experience?”
Advaita ultimately turns this into:
Who is the “who”?
You can investigate it directly:
Do I desire existence?
Before answering, notice:
“I exist.”
Then investigate the “I.”
Is it:
the body?
a thought?
a memory?
a personality?
the feeling of being?
awareness itself?
Every identifiable object can be noticed.
So the inquiry continues:
That which notices the “I”—what is that?
This is where self-inquiry becomes more important than constructing a metaphysical theory about creation.
14. The possible trap in this teaching
There is a subtle danger in saying:
“Paramatma is the projector.”
The mind can immediately create a new entity:
“Okay, so somewhere there is a cosmic Paramatma watching everything and projecting it.”
That simply replaces ego with cosmic ego.
Advaita eventually removes even that conceptual structure.
The final insight isn't:
“I discovered the cosmic projector.”
It is:
The distinction between projector, projection and projected is itself appearing in Consciousness.
That's considerably more radical.
15. The whole teaching compressed
You could reduce the entire passage to this sequence:
Brahman
→ absolutely complete
→ therefore no desire
Māyā / manifestation appears
→ bare sense of “I AM”
→ witnessing consciousness
“I AM”
→ seeks to know itself
→ manifestation appears as answer
Manifestation
→ experiencer + experiencing + experienced
→ desire/Jijīviṣā arises
Spiritual inquiry
→ “Who am I?”
Recognition
→ the individual experiencer cannot ultimately be found
Advaita
→ Brahman alone is
→ the entire drama of desire and experience appears within it
→ yet never alters it.
So the apparent contradiction—
“If there is a desire to exist, how can the Absolute be desireless?”
—is resolved by realizing that the desire belongs to the appearance, not to the Absolute.
And the final punchline is even stronger:
Brahman doesn't desire Life because Brahman is not a being that possesses Life. Brahman is the reality in which the entire distinction between “life,” “desire,” “experiencer,” and “experience” appears.
No comments:
Post a Comment