Tuesday, 25 August 2026

RD BK X This is why “health becomes a second job”

 A

If you're treating Derek Thompson’s The Cult of the Enhanced Self as a book-level idea rather than just an article, the deepest thesis is much bigger than “people are becoming obsessed with fitness.”

The Cult of the Enhanced Self — Derek Thompson

The central thesis

Thompson is describing a cultural transition:

Old self-improvement

“How can I become a better person and contribute to something larger than myself?”

becomes

Enhanced Self

“How can I optimize myself?”

And that tiny change in the object of improvement is enormous.

The old project points outward—toward family, community, religion, citizenship, character.

The new project points inward—toward the body, biomarkers, longevity, appearance, productivity and subjective performance. Thompson explicitly contrasts contemporary enhancement with earlier movements whose self-improvement was connected to religion, community or civic virtue. (Derek Thompson)


1. The real enemy isn't health

This is important.

Thompson isn't arguing:

Exercise is bad.
Eating well is bad.
Sleep is bad.
Sobriety is bad.
Longevity medicine is bad.

Quite the opposite.

He acknowledges that enhancement culture could produce genuine improvements in health and longevity. (Derek Thompson)

His question is:

When does health cease to be a means of living well and become the thing we are living for?

That's the central tension.

You can exercise in order to live.

Or you can gradually begin to live in order to exercise.

You can measure sleep because you want more energy for your family.

Or eventually:

“I can't stay out tonight because my sleep score will suffer.”

The behavior hasn't necessarily changed.

The hierarchy of values has.


2. The Oura ring is actually a philosophical device

The opening story is much deeper than “wearables are addictive.”

The ring gives Thompson numbers:

  • sleep

  • readiness

  • activity

  • heart rate

  • HRV.

Those numbers are useful.

But something subtle happens:

Experience → measurement → score → behavior

Instead of asking:

“How do I feel?”

you begin asking:

“What is my score?”

That is a fundamental transformation in how the self is understood.

Your body becomes a dashboard.

And once there is a dashboard, there is something to optimize.

Thompson describes this as turning the body into a kind of game board where you can win or lose points. (Derek Thompson)


3. The danger of metrics: they simplify reality

This is arguably the most intellectually important idea in the essay.

Metrics are powerful precisely because they compress complexity.

A sleep score turns:

an extraordinarily complicated biological and psychological experience

into:

82/100

That's incredibly convenient.

But convenience creates a danger.

You can start confusing:

what is measurable

with

what matters.

For example:

A wearable can measure sleep.

It cannot adequately measure:

  • whether you had a beautiful conversation with your child,

  • whether you showed up for a friend,

  • whether you experienced wonder,

  • whether you laughed until your stomach hurt,

  • whether today felt meaningful.

And yet those immeasurable things may matter vastly more to a human life.


4. The “metric substitution” problem

This is where Thompson's reference to philosopher C. Thi Nguyen becomes powerful.

Suppose your real goal is:

Live a meaningful life.

That's enormously difficult to optimize.

So we substitute measurable proxies:

sleep score
VO₂ max
body fat
resting heart rate
steps
calories
HRV
longevity estimate.

The proxy becomes easier to pursue than the original goal.

Eventually:

Proxy → becomes goal

instead of:

Proxy → serves goal.

This happens everywhere.

Education

Real goal:

Become educated.

Proxy:

GPA.

Then:

Maximize GPA.

Journalism

Real goal:

Discover and communicate important truths.

Proxy:

Page views.

Then:

Maximize page views.

Philosophy

Real goal:

Understand reality.

Proxy:

Publications / citations / h-index.

Then:

Maximize citations.

Health

Real goal:

Live a rich, capable, meaningful life.

Proxy:

Biomarkers.

Then:

Maximize biomarkers.

That's the trap.


5. The paradox of optimization

Here's the really interesting part.

Optimization requires measurement.

Measurement requires simplification.

Simplification requires ignoring some things.

Therefore:

The better you become at optimizing what can be measured, the greater the risk that you neglect what cannot be measured.

This produces a strange paradox:

You become healthier

while potentially becoming:

  • more anxious,

  • more rigid,

  • less spontaneous,

  • less social,

  • more self-focused.

So the health metrics improve while the life may not.

That's what Thompson means when he asks whether we can become too obsessed with health. (Derek Thompson)


6. Health becomes a form of status

This is Thompson's second major insight.

Historically:

Money → status.

But money isn't the only thing that can become a ranking system.

Now consider:

  • VO₂ max

  • body-fat percentage

  • DEXA results

  • sleep scores

  • resting heart rate

  • grip strength

  • longevity biomarkers.

Suddenly health becomes quantifiable social capital.

You don't merely ask:

“Am I healthy?”

You can start asking:

“Am I healthier than you?”

That is a radically different psychological structure.

Thompson argues that health and fitness biomarkers are becoming a new comparative status system, particularly among affluent people. (Derek Thompson)


7. This explains the strange vocabulary of modern wellness

Words like:

Zone 2
VO₂ max
HRV
DEXA
cold exposure
peptides
CGM
sleep efficiency
metabolic flexibility

are not necessarily bad concepts.

But they function socially too.

They become membership signals.

Knowing the vocabulary communicates:

“I understand the new health economy.”

And sometimes:

“I am the kind of person who takes exceptional care of myself.”

So wellness becomes partly a class language.

The old status language was:

“What do you earn?”

The emerging language can become:

“What are your biomarkers?”


8. The body becomes a corporation

This is perhaps Thompson's most memorable conceptual metaphor.

The individual becomes the:

CEO

of the:

Body Inc.

You have:

  • inputs

  • outputs

  • KPIs

  • performance metrics

  • optimization strategies

  • interventions

  • dashboards

  • quarterly improvements.

Your body becomes a business.

And therefore your leisure becomes work.

Instead of:

“I'm going for a walk.”

you get:

“I'm getting my Zone 2 minutes.”

Instead of:

“I'm sleeping.”

you get:

“I'm optimizing recovery.”

Instead of:

“I'm eating dinner.”

you get:

“I'm hitting my macros.”

The activity may be identical.

The consciousness surrounding it has changed.


9. This is why “health becomes a second job”

Thompson says the Enhanced Self turns health into another job, with the individual simultaneously serving as executive and firm. (Derek Thompson)

That's brilliant because modern professional life already encourages:

productivity → measurement → optimization → performance.

And now we're importing exactly the same logic into leisure.

So you escape the office...

...and then spend your evening managing:

Sleep Inc.
Fitness Inc.
Nutrition Inc.
Longevity Inc.

You haven't really stopped working.

You've simply changed employers.

You now work for yourself.


10. The ultimate irony: leisure becomes productivity

Traditionally:

Work → productivity

Leisure → freedom from productivity

But the Enhanced Self blurs this distinction.

Exercise isn't simply enjoyable movement.

It's:

cardiovascular investment.

Cooking isn't simply cooking.

It's:

nutritional optimization.

Walking isn't simply walking.

It's:

step accumulation.

Sleep isn't simply rest.

It's:

recovery optimization.

The person becomes increasingly unable to experience an activity without extracting a performance benefit from it.

That's the deeper cultural shift.


11. Why this can produce anxiety

Once the body becomes an optimization project, every choice has a score.

Wine?

Maybe worse sleep.

Late dinner?

Maybe worse glucose response.

Social event?

Maybe less sleep.

Dessert?

Maybe worse metabolic markers.

Rest day?

Maybe lower training volume.

Vacation?

Maybe lose fitness.

Now ordinary life becomes a continuous series of calculations.

And this is where Thompson's discussion of death becomes crucial.


12. Underneath optimization is fear of death

This is arguably his deepest psychological claim.

Why are we optimizing?

Why track everything?

Why spend enormous amounts of money on longevity?

Why obsess over sleep?

Why continually calculate risk?

Because underneath it may be:

“I don't want to die.”

That's not pathological.

It's profoundly human.

But Thompson argues that modern enhancement culture can turn this normal fear into an all-consuming project.

Instead of:

“I want to live well.”

it becomes:

“I want to minimize my probability of dying.”

Those aren't the same objective.


13. The mathematics of mortality can consume life

Imagine thinking about every decision in terms of lifespan.

“Will this drink cost me longevity?”

“Will this supplement give me another year?”

“Will staying up tonight damage my health?”

“Should I skip this meal?”

“Should I exercise instead of seeing my friends?”

At some point you're no longer simply living.

You're performing continuous actuarial analysis on your existence.

Thompson's extraordinary metaphor is that one can become like a life-insurance risk assessor living inside one's own head. (Derek Thompson)

That's the paradox:

In trying to maximize the quantity of life, you may diminish the quality of being alive.


14. The social contradiction

Now we reach what I think is the most important argument.

The Enhanced Self may make individuals:

healthier

while society becomes:

lonelier.

Those aren't necessarily contradictory.

You can optimize your:

  • body

  • sleep

  • diet

  • fitness

  • longevity

while simultaneously losing:

  • friendships

  • community

  • spontaneity

  • shared rituals

  • social trust.

Thompson points to declining socialization alongside rising exercise and health optimization, while also noting that gyms and running clubs can themselves provide genuine community. (Derek Thompson)

So he's not saying:

Fitness causes loneliness.

He's identifying a cultural correlation and tension.


15. The deepest substitution: community → self

Older self-improvement movements often had a collective object.

For example:

“Let's become healthier together.”

or:

“Let's build a better society.”

The Enhanced Self says:

“Let me optimize me.”

That difference is enormous.

The question shifts from:

“What kind of society should we create?”

to:

“What kind of organism can I turn myself into?”

That is what Thompson means when he says the contemporary movement doesn't particularly seek to build anything outside the self. (Derek Thompson)


16. This explains the title: “Cult”

“Cult” isn't necessarily being used literally.

It points toward a social structure where people develop:

  • specialized language

  • charismatic authorities

  • rituals

  • metrics

  • status hierarchies

  • products

  • behavioral norms

  • an idealized image of the perfected individual.

And the ideal is:

The optimized human.

You can see the hierarchy:

Normal

Healthy

Fit

Optimized

Enhanced

Extreme longevity

And once the standard becomes enhancement rather than health, “good enough” disappears.


17. The infinite regress

This creates a fascinating psychological problem.

Suppose you reach:

excellent sleep.

Then:

Can HRV improve?

You improve HRV.

Then:

Can VO₂ max improve?

Then:

Can body fat improve?

Then:

Can biomarkers improve?

Then:

Can biological age improve?

There is no natural endpoint.

Because optimization has no intrinsic stopping condition.

You can always optimize further.

That's very different from ordinary health.

Health has a practical threshold:

“I'm functioning well.”

Enhancement has no obvious endpoint:

“Better than yesterday.”

Forever.


18. And therefore the Enhanced Self can become a form of perfectionism

This is where Thompson's argument becomes psychological rather than merely sociological.

The underlying structure becomes:

I am not yet enough.

My:

  • body isn't enough,

  • sleep isn't enough,

  • fitness isn't enough,

  • productivity isn't enough,

  • lifespan isn't enough.

There is always another intervention.

So the language of enhancement can quietly transform:

self-care

into

self-surveillance.

And eventually:

self-improvement

into

self-rejection.


19. There's a beautiful contradiction here

The movement says:

Love yourself enough to optimize yourself.

But optimization can implicitly say:

Your current self isn't acceptable.

That's the paradox.

The more aggressively you try to perfect yourself, the more strongly you may communicate to yourself:

“The person I am right now needs fixing.”

So enhancement can simultaneously be an expression of self-love and self-dissatisfaction.


20. Connecting this to your previous two pieces

This is where the three texts you've brought become surprisingly coherent.

Text 1 — Advaita

Asks:

Who is the “I” that desires?

Text 2 — Ultra-processed food

Asks:

Where does desire come from, and how can environments manipulate it?

Text 3 — Enhanced Self

Asks:

What happens when the “I” turns itself into an endless optimization project?

Put together:

Desire

The environment amplifies desire

The individual identifies with the desiring self

The self begins optimizing itself

Optimization becomes measurable

Measurement becomes comparison

Comparison becomes status

Status becomes identity

Identity becomes a project

The project becomes endless

And underneath the whole thing:

fear of not being enough + fear of death.


21. And here's the Advaita twist

From an Advaita perspective, Thompson's “Enhanced Self” can be seen as a particularly sophisticated form of identification with the body-mind.

Ordinary identification:

“I am this body.”

Enhanced identification:

“I am the manager of this body.”

That's subtler—but still identification.

The ego has become more sophisticated.

It no longer merely says:

“I am beautiful.”

It says:

“I have optimized my biological age by 8.4 years.”

It no longer says:

“I am healthy.”

It says:

“My VO₂ max places me in the 95th percentile.”

The content has become scientific.

But the underlying structure remains:

“This body is me, and therefore improving the body improves me.”

Advaita would challenge that assumption at its root.


22. The ultimate irony

And this connects directly with your first passage.

If the deepest “I” is not the body-mind, then the Enhanced Self is attempting to optimize something that is not ultimately the Self.

You can improve the body.

You can extend its lifespan.

You can improve cognition.

You can reduce disease.

All of that can be worthwhile.

But the question becomes:

Who is the one who is being perfected?

And then:

If the body becomes healthier but the identification with the body becomes stronger, what exactly has been liberated?

That's an entirely different question from whether the intervention is medically beneficial.


23. The distinction Thompson ultimately needs

I would separate three projects:

Health

“I want my body to function well.”

Generally instrumental.

Longevity

“I want to remain alive and capable for as long as reasonably possible.”

Potentially valuable.

Enhancement

“I must continually improve myself because my present state is insufficient.”

This is where the psychological danger begins.

The first two can serve life.

The third can gradually consume life.


24. The deepest question of the whole essay

It isn't:

“Should I wear an Oura ring?”

Nor:

“Should I exercise?”

Nor:

“Should I take GLP-1s?”

The deeper question is:

What is health for?

If the answer is:

So that I can live more fully, love more deeply, participate more completely, and be present for the people I care about,

then optimization is a servant.

But if the answer quietly becomes:

So that I can achieve the optimal body, maximize my score, outrun aging and defeat death,

then optimization has become the master.

And that's the central warning of The Cult of the Enhanced Self:

A healthier body does not automatically produce a better life.

The final measure of health may therefore not be how successfully you optimized the organism, but what the organism's extra years allowed you to do with other human beings.

That is why Thompson's deepest contrast isn't really health vs. unhealth.

It's:

optimization vs. participation.

measurement vs. meaning.

longevity vs. living.

self-improvement vs. self-transcendence.

And ultimately:

Are we trying to make the self perfect—or are we trying to make a life worth living?

No comments: