Saturday 4 August 2012

HS DONS IRRITN ON BEING CALLED

//////////////////////AF 1 BN PPL, 54 COUNTRIES


//////////////////////E AF GRT AT LONG DIST RACES


///////////////////////TO A MOUNTAIN IN TIBET=That journey, in part, was a kind of secular pilgrimage after the death of my father, mother and sister. One can’t explain why someone with agnostic tendencies such as myself should go to a mountain which is holy to others outside his tradition – moreover, all of the comfort that those in mourning are offered in the Christian tradition is denied in Buddhism and Hinduism. So it’s a very irrational journey, if one thinks of it as seeking intellectual or emotional comfort. I simply wanted to walk to an object of holiness in the landscape, and it seemed to me that Kailash was holy in itself, whatever that means.



//////////////////////I think it is clich̩ that understanding dispels fear Рmaybe it exacerbates it Рbut I wanted to humanise the map.



///////////////////////////TRAVEL WRITING=t’s not saying, “This is how the world is, this is my theory about it.” It’s building up experience. It’s not the intellectual understanding about the subject, it’s the emotional experience of it.


///////////////////////////////

No comments: