Monday 22 October 2007

BISARJANER BISHAAD

////////////////////
Man Lives Normal Life with Tiny (Egg-sized) BrainPublished in Science - Posted By: Dorothy
16
Jul
French doctors are puzzling over the case of 44-year-old civil servant who has led a quite normal life — but with an extraordinarily tiny brain. In a case history published in Lancet, doctors led by Lionel Feuillet (Hopital of Marseille) say he was admitted to hospital after suffering mild weakness in his left leg.
Scans by computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) showed that the man's cerebral cavities, called ventricles, had massively expanded. "The brain itself, meaning the grey matter and white matter, was completely crushed against the sides of the skull".
The images were most unusual.. the brain was virtually absent," he said. They were astonished to see "massive enlargement" of the lateral ventricles - usually tiny chambers that hold the cerebrospinal fluid that cushions the brain (left pictures; normal brain on the right).
The patient's medical history showed that at the age of six months, he suffered hydrocephalus, also called water on the brain, and needed an operation to drain this dangerous buildup of spinal fluid.
Intelligence tests showed the man had an IQ of 75, below the average score of 100 but not considered mentally retarded or disabled, either.
Despite this, "the man has been able to lead a life that can be considered normal," said Feuillet. "Even if he has a slight intellectual handicap, this has not hampered his development or building social networks."
Seems that Homer Simpson is not the only one to have egg-sized Brain.




//////////////////An orphan or rare disease is generally considered to have a prevalence of fewer than 200,000 affected individuals in the United States. Certain diseases with 200,000 or more affected individuals may be included if subpopulations of these conditions are equal to the prevalence standard for rare diseases. This list includes rare diseases and conditions for which information requests have been made to the ORD. It is updated on a regular basis. We welcome suggestions for additions to the list and your recommendations



/////////////////
Sharing sweet poem that reminds us why we do what we do Posted: Sep 28, 2007 9:06 AM
aging



Reply
I saw the following and thought I would share - it makes you stop and reflect...An Old Lady's PoemWhen an old lady died in the geriatric wardof a small hospital near Dundee, Scotland, it was felt that she had nothing left of any value. Later, when the nurses were going throughher meager possessions, they found this poem. Its quality and content so impressed the staffthat copies were made and distributed to every nurse in the hospital. One nurse took her copy to Ireland. The old lady's sole bequest to posterity has since appeared in the Christmas edition of the News Magazine of the North Ireland Association for Mental Health. A slide presentation has also been made based on her simple, but eloquent, poem. ... And this little old Scottish lady, with nothing left to give to theworld, is now the author of this "anonymous" poem winging across theInternet. Goes to show that we all leave "SOME footprints in time"..... What do you see, nurses, what do you see? What are you thinking when you're looking at me? A crabby old woman, not very wise, Uncertain of habit, with faraway eyes? Who dribbles her food and makes no reply When you say in a loud voice, "I do wish you'd try!" Who seems not to notice the things that you do, And forever is missing a stocking or shoe..... Who, resisting or not, lets you do as you will, With bathing and feeding, the long day to fill.... Is that what you're thinking? Is that what you see? Then open your eyes, nurse; you're not looking at me. I'll tell you who I am as I sit here so still, As I do at your bidding, as I eat at your will. I'm a small child of ten ... with a father and mother, Brothers and sisters, who love one another. A young girl of sixteen, with wings on her feet, Dreaming that soon now a lover she'll meet. A bride soon at twenty -- my heart gives a leap, Remembering the vows that I promised to keep. At twenty-five now, I have young of my own, Who need me to guide and a secure happy home. A woman of thirty, my young now grown fast, Bound to each other with ties that should last. At forty, my young sons have grown and are gone, But my man's beside me to see I don't mourn. At fifty once more, babies play round my knee, Again we know children, my loved one and me. Dark days are upon me, my husband is dead; I look at the future, I shudder with dread. For my young are all rearing young of their own, And I think of the years and the love that I've known. I'm now an old woman ... and nature is cruel; 'Tis jest to make old age look like a fool. The body, it crumbles, grace and vigor depart, There is now a stone where I once had a heart. But inside this old carcass a young girl still dwells, And now and again my battered heart swells. I remember the joys, I remember the pain, And I'm loving and living life over again. I think of the years .... all too few, gone too fast, And accept the stark fact that nothing can last. So open your eyes, nurses, open and see, Not a crabby old woman; look closer ... see ME!! Remember this poem when you next meet anold person who you might brush aside withoutlooking at the young soul within ...... We will one day be there, too!



//////////////////////Bridge of Water Spans 25mm7 October 2007, 13:32
Categories: energy
Researchers at Graz University of Technology, Austria, have caused water to span a 25-millimetre gap between two regular glass beakers in a gravity-defying stunt. The engineering feat could involve a hitherto unknown microstructure of water. The team applied up to 25,000 volts across electrodes placed in two beakers filled nearly to the brim with distilled water. Within a millisecond, water crawled up to the edge of one beaker and, in a burst of sparks, leapt across the gap between them. As the researchers moved the beakers apart, the bridge grew. The resulting thin cylinder of water stood for up to 45 minutes.




////////////////////

You can find the name of your MP and get in touch with them via the website...

www.writetothem.com - Correct




//////////////////
Do documents produced by the United Nations have the force of Law?-NO



//////////////////////
The House of Lords has a public gallery
True - Correct




////////////////////VOLUNTEERING INFO-AT LOCAL LIBRARAY


//////////////////
You can get more information about sex discrimination from.-EQL OPP COMMISSION


////////////////DISSOCIATIVE IDENTITY DISORDER



//////////////////

No comments: