Wednesday 24 October 2007

DHAKIS HEAD HOME

//////////////////The Sunday Tube Train.
I was taking the tube one Sunday morning and reading my newspaper. At the first stop three young children and their father joined our carriage but the children were so badly behaved I found it impossible to read or enjoy the journey. A little cross I asked their father if he could control his children better. He replied "Oh, I am sorry you were disturbed, you see we have come from the hospital where their mother, my wife has just died" (Stephen Covey)
Covey writes about his immediate mood change, from irritation to "How can I help?"
We never know the stories of others, why they act the way they do but we could try assuming people have a reason which, if we knew it, would change our reactions to them from negative to positive.
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" (Plato)

http://www.enmore.org/dealing-with-anger.htm



/////////////////Who or what is on your "LTS" list?
Since our time here is limited it's worth having a "Life's too short" list of things and people we can best do without.Here are some thought starters:-Life's too short to do things that don't make you feel good.Life's too short to be in places you don't feel comfortable in.Life's too short to be with people whose company you don't enjoy.Why not use these ideas to draw up a list of things and people you really don't have time for, and then act on it.



/////////////////Nelson Mandela.
Shortly after his release Nelson Mandela was phoned with his congratulations by US President Bill Clinton. In the course of the conversation Clinton asked him, "Surely after such an experience of incarceration you must still feel some anger towards those who kept you in captivity?" Mandela replied "No, I realised if I didn't let go of my anger then those who imprisoned me would still be in control of a part of my life."
Any bad feelings we hold on to means we have given away our power. Such feelings restrict our freedom and they let external forces control us. I'm sure there are good moral reasons to forgive our enemies, to let go of anger and hurt but purely on the basis of self interest, of keeping control of your life, of increasing your freedom it's a good, if not easy, step to take.

LET GO THEIR CONTROL OVER ME AS ANGER


////////////////

No comments: